I’m often asked where I get my ideas from.
I have another couple of blogs and a word count that needs doing each day, so it’s a fair question.
It’s also a question authors have been asked for eternity.
Mostly ideas come from the every day. Take yesterday for example. I was in the backyard doing some long overdue weeding. We have a large-ish suburban block and yesterday some of the weeds were so incredibly tall they would dwarf a small child. Some were approaching the size at which I’d need council approval to dig them up.
I reckon that’s where John Wyndham got his idea for The Day of the Triffids. He’s wandered outside with his cup of tea one Spring morning after a good winter growing season and seen weeds like the ones in my garden. He’s shaken his head and declared, “by gum, some of yon buggers look like they could uproot and start walking.”
Ideas come from everywhere- news stories, other blogs, songs. They also come from quotes.
I’m not a big fan of the inspirational quote. I’m not a big fan of the inspirational guru, or the celebrity this that or other.
Sure I post the occasional one on my Facebook wall, but most of my favourite lines come from Pet Shop Boys songs- and there isn’t a lot of inspiration gonna come anyones way from those. I do, however, get some great blog titles for the Astro blog from them.
So, without further ado, here are a few of my favourites:
- “How hard can it be?” Attributed to, well, me!
- “Life is what happens when your busy making other plans”, John Lennon
- “instant karma’s going to get you…” John Lennon
- “imagine…” John Lennon… Is anyone getting a theme here?
- “Live life like someone left the gate open”
- “Find your comfort zone- then leave it” or another in the same vein “Life is just outside your comfort zone”
- “No matter how late, drunk or tired you are- take your make-up off before you go to bed” -this one’s from me again.
- “Life is Simple: Are you happy? Yes? Keep Going. No? Change Something.”
- “Don’t stop thinking about tomorrow- it’ll soon be here…” Fleetwood Mac
- and finally my personal favourite: “somewhere in the world it’s 5pm…” Yep, that ones from me again!
Categories: My Journey